Connect with us






Government

Hooks Rebuild Hearing Postponed After Condo Owners Retain Counsel




A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

The plan to demolish and reconstruct Hooks Bar & Grill in Seaside Heights as a new restaurant within a mixed-use complex that would include a parking deck and 22 condominium units has been placed on a short hold after owners of a nearby condominium complex raised objections.

A hearing on the matter was supposed to have been heard from by the borough’s planning board this week, but was adjourned after the property owner and borough officials received a letter from prominent land use attorney Ron Gasiorowski – who primarily represents objectors to development applications – noting that he was retained by the residents. The objectors are residents of the Ocean Villas condominium complex located at 1315 Boulevard, directly across from what is now Hook’s Bar & Grill and its asphalt parking lot.

The exact nature of the objection was not entered into the record Monday night, when the matter was discussed. The adjournment was sought since Gasiorowski was unable to appear due to a previously-scheduled medical procedure the next morning.


Get Daily Island News Updates
Your email address:*
Please enter all required fields Click to hide
Correct invalid entries Click to hide

“His client is very interested in this project and retained his services to be heard in the matter,” said board attorney Steven A. Zabarsky. “He indicates he was prepared to appear, but Mr. [Matthew] Heagan asked for the matter to be carried and submitted an amended plan.”

Heagan represents Hooks in the matter, and said he was prepared to present an amended plan to the board that, presumably, would address the concerns raised by his adversary.

“When you do have people interested in the matter and retain counsel, they may or may not come with experts to be heard, and the board really has to consider granting at least one adjournment to allow those individuals to have their due process rights upheld and have their attorney represent them,” Zabarsky advised board members. “Mr. Gasiorowski has been practicing in this area for 50 years and Mr. Heagan has been very gracious.”

At a workshop meeting held in January, two neighboring residents voiced some concern over the size of the building, however the developer said it is comparable to several nearby condominium complexes and, ironically, reducing its size would force architectural changes that would make it appear more “boxy.”

The board adjourned the matter to April 28, its next regular business meeting. The rescheduling of the hearing is not required to be re-published in a formal public notice.

“Hopefully there will be no more adjournments, and we’ll cross that bridge when we come to it,” said Heagan.

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)


A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

According to representatives from Hooks, the new building will encompass the entire property, which is now developed with the bar to the north and an outdoor parking lot to the south. It runs along the Boulevard between Kearney and Carteret avenues. The restaurant is planned be located at ground level alongside a parking deck that would be blended into the building’s design behind a tilted facade that hides its more utilitarian purpose. The two upper levels would consist of living space, including nine condominiums on the first residential level and 13 on the upper level. The lower-level units will each have two or three bedrooms, while the upper units will come complete with a second-floor loft.

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

A rendering of a proposed restaurant and condominium complex to replace Hooks in Seaside Heights. (Courtesy: Mike Loundy/ MODE Architects)

The building would stand 59-feet in height, requiring a variance since the normal limit in the zone is 41-feet. Unlike some other areas in town, the Hooks property is not a designated redevelopment area, meaning the underlying zoning code applies rather than a custom carve-out for a specific project. Variances are also required for density – 1,200 feet square feet per unit is required while 955 square feet is proposed – as well as for more mundane issues such as curb cuts. There will be two, two-way entrances and exits from the premises, both with 42-foot driveways. The parking deck would contain 40 spaces that would be reserved for residents, while restaurant customers would utilize street parking.

The April 28 meeting is for 6 p.m. in the council chambers above the borough firehouse at 116 Sherman Avenue.


Click to comment